September 5, 2012

the new normal

The new normal for us has begun, in September, with all its freshness and mystery of what is yet to be.

We are taking the plunge into another year of homeschooling, and the children seem ready and excited for all that is to come. Though we attempted to keep at the learning through the summer, with swimming and ballet lessons, visits from family and friends, a garden to tend to and lots of impromptu trips to the beach, mostly what it all amounted to was lots of reading and library trips and quick little math drills with a CD-Rom we've come to enjoy. Still, I'm amazed at the delight the children have shown in the last few days about diving into learning again. How this year will pan out is yet to be determined, but I'm feeling good about setting up our routine again of mornings for more formal book learning, with afternoons for naps (for me!), library trips, nature walks and outside play and all the other little things that our homeschooling lifestyle allows. 

We are waiting on this little one growing with me, not due for another few weeks. We are preparing to meet her sweet self, eagerly washing baby clothes, painting the cradle, washing old towels and sheets in preparation for our fifth home birth. I haven't blogged at all since the spring, as you may have noticed (welcome back, readers!), because I honestly felt this time of pregnancy has been a period of real turning inward, saying no to outside obligations and expectations that didn't serve my serenity. It isn't that I didn't have much to say; I just didn't have the desire to put it out there on the blog. 

Pregnancy is always a very contemplative time for me: a time of being and not of doing. When you are growing a little person inside of you so much of your energy becomes focused on that reality and on self-care. This time around I think I've finally found a much better balance and I sense that I am arriving at this little one's birth in a much better place. My youngest is now 3, and is turning four in December, so it has been a while since our home has been graced with a newborn babe and the joy is so full. We all await her arrival with great delight!

I am hoping to get on the blog a bit more in the days ahead, to document our family's simple adventures and to keep my focus on gratitude as these last weeks of pregnancy can be draining and testing of my patience. You mamas understand.

Come by for a visit every now and then! Maybe I'll even get around to sharing some of our summer photos. The garden is growing, despite my meager efforts beyond planting. Scott has been the gardener extraordinaire and we'll have lots of potatoes to show for it soon enough! For now, we've been eating lots of cucumbers, zucchini (everything!), melt-in-your mouth tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, lettuce and spinach and so much yummy basil. Soon I'll be making pesto and perhaps learning how to can tomatoes.

We'll see, we'll see what comes...

Blessings. 

10 comments:

Adrienne Van said...

Great to hear your focusing on you and the wondrous baby you're going to be bringing into the world. Love to all of you and have a wonderful and easy home birth!
Adrienne

Elena said...

good to have you back. maryanne k. told me today that the easiest way to do tomatoes is to throw them in a bag and freeze them. when you need them, just put them under the hot water tap and the peel comes right off. sounds like a quick processing solution to me.

Erin said...

Thanks Adrienne!

Elena, that sounds like a great idea. Leave it up to the local Polish mamas to have quick solutions to preserving the harvest. I'll have to try that! Thanks.

Niki B. said...

I have finally surfaced myself. I came by for a visit on the blog 'cause I can't in person.:( I relate with all you said. our heart and prayers are with you as you walk each step.

Erin said...

Niki B...my long lost friend out in Seattle now? SO good to see you here! Please do come by for an on-line visit anytime. We miss you all!

W-S Wanderings said...

Please excuse me while I embarrass myself, but - YOU'RE PREGNANT?????? And due soon! How did I not know this? Oh my word, I am hopelessly out of touch. Not paying attention. But so darned excited for you! CONGRATULATIONS, my friend! Five is fabulous, absolutely fabulous.

So very happy for you...

Erin said...

I guess it's been a while since we've seen one another my Wabi-Sabi friend! I haven't been blogging much, but hopefully soon with some cute newborn photos folks will pop on by for a read every now and then. We're pretty darn excited for five...but the most amazing part is the joy the children seem to be glowing with. A new babe really is such a gift to the entire family, and our hearts are just expanding in the last few weeks of waiting.

Anonymous said...

Great blog Erin. The spirit of The Eternal Madonna is alive and well. Can't wait to meet grand child number 6. Keep the home fries burning!

Flying Squirrel said...

Erin, you do a magnificent job of finding the balance between outside obligations/fun and the peace of your family. It is obvious to anyone who meets your happy children. And yes! Keep the "home fries" burning! (Loved that!) We just made home fries in a pot of heart-hurting vegetable oil...yum, so good. I wonder if lard would be better?

Flying Squirrel said...

...better for you, that is.